Make this insect feeder to attract butterflies,
moths, bees, flies and other nectar loving insects. Hang this craft from
a tree or outside a window and see what insects you attract.
What you need:
- new sponge - 2.5 cm or 1 inch thick
- 2 litre plastic bottle with lid
- measuring cup
What you do:
- With your scissors cut the sponge 4 cm wide
and 15 cm long, cut a 2 cm hole near bottom of bottle.
- Cut 20 cm of string and tie around sponge,
tie stone around the other end of sponge.
- Put the stone and twine through the hole
you cut in the bottle and push the sponge into the bottle leaving
2 cm of sponge hanging out.
- Unscrew the bottle cap and using the funnel
pour 1 cup of sugar into the bottle.
- Over a sink, fill bottle 3/4 full of water
and put lid on the bottle. Turn bottle upside down. Gently shake
bottle to dissolve the sugar.
- With the help of an adult, secure the bottle
to a tree branch using the wire.
- Keep a journal or log of the different
insects that come to your feeder.
... more Summer fun.