Make your own hummingbird food. It's easy to make and the hummingbirds will love it.
What you need:
- Adult supervisor
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 cups water
- Hummingbird feeder
What you do:
- On the stovetop, in a pot, boil the water and sugar for 1-2 minutes. Stir the food as it cooks. Allow the mixture to cool.
- Fill the hummingbird feeder and hang near a window.
- Any extra food can be stored in the refrigerator.
- Change the food in your feeder every 3-4 days or when it becomes cloudy.
- Put out your feeder in early May and leave your feeder up for three weeks
after seeing your last hummingbird.
- they flap their wings about 55 times per second.
- are attracted to the colour red, that's why most feeders have red on them
- humming birds feed approximately every 15 minutes
- normal flight speed is about 25 MPH
- life span is about 4 years on average. The record is 12.
- each spring they migrate across the Gulf of Mexico, which is about a 1300km trek.
... more Spring fun.