Craft: Paper Mache
Here is a fun and very messy craft to make. Use this piggy bank to store all
your loose coins.
Note: Make sure to wear old clothing and cover your working area with lots
What you need:
- Homemade paste (see paste
- A balloon
- Masking tape
- Cardboard or box board
- One cup from an egg carton
- Pipe cleaner
- Paint brushes
- Varnish or Hodge Podge.
- Ask a grownup to help.
- Combine six cups of water with 3 cups of flour and heat until mixture is like thick cream.
- Allow mixture to cool.
What you do:
While paste is cooling, collect your supplies.
- Blow up the balloon and tie a knot at end.
This will be the pig's body.
- Cut or tear newspaper into strips.
- Tape the cup from the egg carton on knot
end of the balloon.
- Cut two ears from the box board or cardboard
and tape onto the balloon.
- To make the legs:
- Cut two circles from the box board or cardboard.
- Cut circles in half.
- Take each half circle and form cones.
- Attach the legs with tape to the underside
of your pig.
- Cut and bend pipe cleaner into a curly tail
and tape onto the large end of the balloon.
- Paste on approximately 4 layers of newspaper
strips over the entire pig.
- Allow to dry for at least two days.
- Ask a grownup to cut a rectangular coin slot
in the top of your pig, then burst the balloon with a pin.
- Decorate with paints and allow to dry.
- Apply at least one coat of varnish or Hodge
Podge to protect and strengthen your masterpiece.