Craft: Modeling Clay
Here is a recipe to make modeling clay. You can make anything
you wish with this dough, let your imagination go wild. Try making buttons,
candle holders, napkin rings, beads or anything else you can think of. This craft will allow you to use your imagination!
What you need:
- Mixing bowl
- Jar of water
- Baking sheet
- Cooling rack
- Paint brushes
- 3/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 and 1/4 cup flour
- 1 and 1/4 cup salt
- Poster paint
- Optional: key rings, glitter,
What you do:
- Because this craft involves using the oven please ask
a grownup to supervise you. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Measure the ingredients and mix the flour, water, vegetable
oil and salt together. Mix until you have a soft ball of dough. If your
mixture is too dry, add water.
- Sprinkle some flour on the counter and knead the dough with your hands
until it is smooth and stretchy.
- Model the dough into the shapes you want. You can stick pieces of dough
together by using a little water. Use a toothpick to make any holes.
- When you are finished creating, put all your shapes on a cookie sheet
and bake for 20 minutes or until dough is hard. Place your creations on
a wire cooling rack and let cool.
- Once cool, your creations are ready to be painted. When the paint is dry
coat them with clear varnish.